Academic projects and grants
For the last decade, IIMS staff members have received several research grants from Russian and international foundations. Among granting partners were the US Agency for International Development, Humboldt Foundation, the McArthurs' Foundation, Moscow Public Science Foundation, the Russian Foundation for Humanities, and the HSE Research Fund.
IIMS researchers take active part in major projects carried out by international organizations such as the World Bank, the EBRD, the OECD and TACIS. The IIMS has initiated and carried out a number of joint academic projects in cooperation with foreign scholars and organizations. The list of projects is as follows:
- "Who does and who does not need reforms in Russia (interest groups and their political influence in the process of market reforms)" supported by granted by the Humboldt Foundation within Federal Chancellor scholarship program, Germany, 2002-2003.
- The Russian and Bulgarian joint project with the participation of Prof. Frye (USA), Think Tank Partnership Program grant, USAID, 2003-2004.
- The Russian and Japanese joint project "Corporate governance and business integration in Russian companies", 2004-2009, grants from the MPSF and the Ministry of Education in Japan in 2004-2005, and at the final stage the project was supported by the HSE Fundamental Researches Program.
- The Russian and Finnish joint project "New business strategy in Russian and Finnish companies: cooperation with the market-leaders" (held together with Helsinki School of Economics, a joint project of the RFH and the Academy of Finland, 2007-2009).
- The project "Business and power in the RF regions" (jointly with Prof. Timothy Frye, 2007-2008), the field research was financed from the Innovation education program later supported by the HSE Fundamental Researches Program.
- The project "Business associations in Russia: their structure, evolution of their relations with the State and their role in modernization of economy" (jointly with Prof. William Pyle, 2009-2011), the MPSF grant and financial support by the HSE Fundamental Researches Program.
Policy Advice and Consulting
The IIMS participates in policy councils commissioned by Russian government agencies. Between 2000 and 2010, the IIMS has executed more than 40 projects for the Ministry of Economic Development, the Federal Antimonopoly Service, the Ministry of Education and Science, and other official bodies.
IIMS experts participated in developing the Strategy for Economic Development of the Russian Federation to 2010, also known as the Gref Program, in 2000.
The Federal Targeted Program Electronic Russia was expanded and the Concept of Corporate Governance Reform was prepared with the active participation of IIMS experts. IIMS experts participated in the development of a small and medium enterprises (SME) support program as well as in a complex evaluation of federal targeted programs.
IIMS staff took part in the development stage of conceptualizing and designing institutions of the new approaches to the industrial policy and trade and economic cooperation strategy for Russia in relation to China and India.
The IIMS worked jointly with a team from the World Bank in drafting an investment climate assessment (ICA) and Russian manufacturing competitiveness analysis in 2005 and 2006.
Findings from academic research often help in drafting policy papers that are reported to the Russian government and to leading economic agencies. Between 2007 and 2010, the IIMS prepared a series of analytical documents devoted to the modernization and implementation of Russian antimonopoly legislation. These analytical documents were submitted to specialized committees of the Russian State Duma, the Russian Government, the Ministry of Economic Development, and the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP). The findings were also used while Russian antimonopoly legislation was being amended.
The IIMS also provides analyses of enterprises, markets and value chains for private companies. More specifically, the IIMS carries out market analysis for the implementation of antimonopoly legislation.
IIMS representatives currently serve as members of the Expert Council of the RSPP and have been invited to prepare annual reports for the RSPP, RMEU and the National Council on Corporate Governance.
Grant under the Seventh Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development in the 'Socio-economic sciences and the humanities' area (SEARCH)
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!