Workshop "Experimental approach to community-based policing"
On December 12th and 13th ICSID organised a workshop on experimental methodology in police studies. Russian and foreign experts took part in the workshop.
The aim of the two-day seminar was to discuss the application field and laboratory experiments in studies of the law enforcement institutions.
The experts presented their reports on the specifics of police studies in transforming economies and the use of experimental approach. Ruben Enikolopov (NES) presented the experience of conducting field experiments in Russia, and Thorsten Chmura and Benedikt Herrmann told about the practice of laboratory and field experiments.
In addition, ICSID's experimental project was discussed. Alexis Belyanin (ICEF, ICSID) presented the Center's preliminary findings. During the pilot experiment, groups of students of the MVD Academy ofmanagement participated in the game, which required making decisions on managing their income. The experiment allowed to formulate a number of hypotheses and explanations, which will be further developed in the future work of the Centre. Both laboratory and field experiments are planned for 2012. They will help to explain how different measures of reforming the police can solve the problem of police effectiveness, combat corruption and improve public perception of police.
- Ruben Enikolopov (Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR), New Economic School (NES));
- Yulia Chistyakova (Teaching Fellow. the School of Applied Social Sciences at Durham University, UK);
- Annette Robertson (Senior Lecturer in Criminology. BA Criminology Programme Leader. Glasgow School for Business and Society. Glasgow Caledonian University, UK);
- Diether Wolfgang Beuermann Mendoza (Economics Specialist. Inter-American Development Bank, USA);
- Mark Edwin Schaffer (Professor of Economics. School of Management & Languages. Heriot-Watt University, UK);
- Thorsten Chmura (Senior Research Fellow. Universität Duisburg-Essen, Germany);
- Benedikt Amadeus Johannes Herrmann (Policy officer. Joint Research Centre of the European Commission. Institute for Health and Consumer Protection, Belgium);
- Svetlana Pevnitskaya (Assistant Professor at the Department of Economics. College of social science. USA);
- Lauren Mc Carthy(Assistant Professor of Political Science and Legal. University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA).