About the Center
The International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development (ICSID) led by Andrei Yakovlev and Timothy M. Frye brings together Russian and foreign experts in economics and political science. Researchers at the Center come from the Institute for Industrial and Market Studies (IIMS) of the National Research University Higher School of Economics and the Harriman Institute (Columbia University) as well as the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Emory University, the George Washington University and Trinity College. The Center, which was established in 2011 thanks to a generous grant from the Russian government cooperates closely with other HSE institutes and departments, including the Faculty of Economic Sciences, and HSE international research laboratories.
Scholars at ICSID are currently implementing a research project "Quality of public administration: its factors and impact on economic development" which is the Center’s major project for 2020. The main objectives of the project are to study the incentives for strengthening regional governance, improving the quality of formal and informal institutions, and developing research on public goods provision and property rights protection. We concentrate mostly on Russia, but compare it with other countries, such as China.
Besides Harriman Institute at Columbia University there are other foreign partners of the center: University of Colorado at Boulder, Ludwig-Maximilian University Munich, Bremen University, Ghent University.
The main research directions of the center are:
- Bureaucratic elites and social and economic development of Russia
- Incentives for bureaucracy in Russia and China
- Collective actions
- Trust and cultural norms
- Social policy and vocational education
- Public-private partnership in secondary vocational education: on the example of firms in Russia and China (RSF);
- Grant of the President of the Russian Federation for the project "Place of news about Russia on the world agenda: comparative analysis of the global news stream in the G20 countries."
- Grant of the Foundation for support of social research "Khamovniki" for the project "Formation of modern legal profession and role of lawyers in social changes in Russia".
- Political Economy of development: response of economic actors to changes in institutional environment (2019)
- Political Economy of development: mechanisms of inertia and variability (2018)
- Political economy of development: historical and modern factors (2017)
- Public-private partnership in secondary vocational education: on the example of firms in Russia and China (RSF, 2016-2018)
- Elites, institutions and culture as factors of economic development (2016)
- Promotion factors of the bureaucratic elite, informal institutions and the production of public goods (2015)
- Incentives for bureaucracy, protection of property rights and production of public goods (2014)
- Institutions and Economic Development: Role of Bureaucracy and Experiments as Methods for Analysis and Evaluation of Reforms (project 2011-2013)
ISCID __PRESENTATION (PPTX, 438 Kb)
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.